Get Into the Best Film and video Scoring Program for You
Steve Lipman’s guidance gives you an added advantage of getting accepted.
The “silver screen” has inspired some of the world’s most iconic and memorable music. In fact, many of our favorite films wouldn’t be complete without their film score.
Composing, conducting, and recording music for film is it’s own, standalone field. The technical aspects of adapting music to film require a specified understanding of compositional techniques, sound acoustics, and human psychology all focused on presenting in a theater or television setting. Embarking on a film scoring degree is a multi-faceted journey, and choosing the right school is one of the most important factors in getting accepted and being successful in the industry.
IMS Will Help.
Our expertise has guided hundreds of students to the best school for them. With over forty years of experience in music school admissions, and a 10-year consulting program of mock auditions, simulated admissions interviews, portfolio assessment and development, and one-on-one support put the tools you need in your hand.
What You Need to Know Before Studying Film and Video Scoring
The portfolio is the bread and butter of any creative budding professional. For composers of film and video, showcasing your work to an admissions department and faculty requires more than just recordings.
Film composers must often work with many professional musicians, orchestrators and arrangers when conveying ideas. Therefore, knowing how to read, write, and communicate music notation - as the most efficient way of demonstrating musical concepts to many people - is crucial. Including original musical notation (manuscript or midi) in your portfolio is a must.
Having video files showing your own original music in action is the best way to showcase your talents. Having the wisdom to know what to show is another thing entirely.
Are you ready to score for film? IMS will help get you there.
With our personalized comprehensive list of composition/film scoring schools in hand, and the guidance of consultant Steve Lipman, students have an increased chance of getting into the school that’s right for them.
Whatever the school, students studying film music scoring will undoubtedly be inspired by coming into contact with professional faculty and scores of students driven by their own musical passions. There’s a school for every student, and the right one can be found.
Where have some of our students ended up?
- CALIFORNIA INSTITUTE OF THE ARTS
- NEW YORK UNIVERSITY
- BERKLEE COLLEGE OF MUSIC
- UNIVERSITY OF SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA - THORNTON SCHOOL OF MUSIC (post-grad)
- UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA AT LOS ANGELES - HERB ALPERT SCHOOL OF MUSIC
- EASTMAN SCHOOL OF MUSIC - BEAL INSTITUTE FOR FILM MUSIC & MEDIA (post grad)
- ROYAL COLLEGE OF MUSIC - LONDON
How Can IMS Help?
Finding the right school for you
At the end of this process, we develop a personalized comprehensive list of schools that we recommend the student consider applying to based on several factors:
- Environment - We guide students to schools where their temperament, skill level, and drive are set up to thrive.
- Opportunities - Beyond the studio, film scorers need films to work on. We choose the best schools for film scorers based on what opportunities to build portfolios are available.
- Career Prospects - How does the student want to be involved in the world of film scoring? Are they interested in a commercial career path, or specialized cinematic projects such as documentaries, etc.
Three Plans to Get You There
- Two-Hour One-on-One Consultation
- Mock audition to prepare for the real thing
- A simulated admissions Interview with constructive feed-back
- A written report on your potential for success, and recommendations on where to improve
Includes Silver Program plus:
- Exploration and assessment of secondary interests and hybrid degrees
- Arranged meetings with students, faculty, and alumni to understand what it’s like attending schools you’re interested in, and how you might fit in
- A private lesson on the student’s principal instrument and/or voice
- A personalized list of recommended schools based on all assessments and criteria
Includes Gold Program plus:
- Unlimited, exclusive access to primary consultant Steve Lipman
- Unlimited essay and resume editing services
- Mock auditions, simulated admission interviews, and one-on-one meetings with students, alumni, and industry professionals
- Portfolio or pre-screening video presentation development and optimization
- Review of all college applications including the Common App
- Guidance in applying for scholarship consideration