The Musical Theater Major: Bringing Speech, Movement, and Music Together
Get Into the best Musical Theater Program for You
Musical theater is the crossroads of the spoken word, expressive movement, and a musical artistry focused on setting the scene through song. The characteristics of people involved with musical theater all serve a common goal of helping to bridge the gap between these disciplines.
Aspiring performers who want to lend their energy and skills to the stage have many outlets. Dance ensembles, acting workshops, and musical productions of new and theatrical classics need singers, actors, and dancers to lead the story. Every aspect of musical theater has some number of passionate performers and producers behind it.
Producing musical theater requires a multifaceted and creative individual with an understanding of the multiple artistic worlds of theater. Producers and directors are the architects of immersive stories towed along with expressive music and acting.
Through a rigorous exploration of the student’s interests, career aspirations, and enrichment goals, we develop an individualized preparatory program of mock musical theater auditions, portfolio development, and admissions interview strategies with Steve Lipman, former head of admissions at Berklee College of Music.
Our commitment to one-on-one support and guiding students through the admissions process has launched hundreds of fruitful educational journeys.
Yours Can be Next
With our comprehensive list of musical theater schools in hand, and the guidance of consultant Steve Lipman, students have an increased chance of getting into the school that’s right for them.
This is What Our Students Are Saying
I’m so happy and relieved to say that we finally made the decision to commit to Oklahoma City University! I know I've said this before, but I really would just like to thank you for all your work and all your help..... Read MoreI’m so happy and relieved to say that we finally made the decision to commit to Oklahoma City University! I know I've said this before, but I really would just like to thank you for all your work and all your help throughout this journey. It's been stressful and exhausting, but your support always made it better. A year ago, I was lost and confused, and had no idea what to do or where to go. You helped me get out of that and put me on the right track to what I wanted. It's still unbelievable to see how much I've grown in the past year, and I definitely have you to thank. Working with you was an absolute pleasure, and if I had to do it again, it wouldn't be with anyone else.
Where have some of our students ended up?
- CARNEGIE MELLON UNIVERSITY
- AMERICAN MUSICAL AND DRAMATIC ACADEMY
- BALDWIN WALLACE UNIVERSITY
- UNIVERSITY OF MICHIGAN
- BOSTON CONSERVATORY OF MUSIC
- OKLAHOMA CITY UNIVERSITY
- NEW YORK UNIVERSITY
- PACE UNIVERSITY
- ELON UNIVERSITY
- CINCINNATI COLLEGE AND CONSERVATORY
How Can IMS Help?
Finding the right school for you
At the end of our preparatory program, we develop a personalized list of schools the student should apply to based on several factors:
- Interest - What aspects of musical theater inspire the student?
- Skill Level - Our recommendations aim to be constructive environments where the student in question will thrive.
- Career Prospects - What does the student want to do with their musical theater degree? Where a school is located and opportunities for performance are all factors in identifying the right environment for success.
Three Plans to Get You There
- Two-Hour One-on-One Consultation
- Mock auditions to prepare for the real thing
- A simulated Admissions Interview with constructive feed-back
- A written report on your potential for success, and recommendations on where to improve
Includes Silver Program plus:
- Exploration and assessment of secondary interests and hybrid degrees
- Arranged meetings with students, faculty, and alumni to understand what it’s like attending schools you’re interested in, and how you might fit in
- A private lesson on the student’s principal instrument and/or voice
- A personalized list of recommended schools based on all assessments and criteria
Includes Gold Program plus:
- Unlimited, exclusive access to primary consultant Steve Lipman
- Unlimited essay and resume editing services
- Mock auditions, simulated audition interviews, and one-on-one meetings with students, alumni, and industry professionals
- Portfolio or pre-screening video presentation development and optimization
- Review of all college applications including the Common App
- Guidance in applying for scholarship consideration