Songwriting Majors: A Double-Edged Sword
Get into the Best Songwriting Program for You.
Find the right college to spread your word with IMS
Songwriting majors go beyond just loving a good tune. Should you choose to study songwriting you need an environment offering constructive criticism, ample performance opportunities, and world-class faculty who have actively engaged with the music industry.
Some songwriters make a name for themselves, while others create compositions for different artists to use. Some songwriters find themselves as part of a record label’s team to draft the next great chart-topping hit, while others are creating compositions for different mixed media.
Inside Music Schools is a consulting experience designed to help you discover where you want to go, and how you want to get there. Mock auditions, simulated admissions interviews, songwriting assessments, and one-on-one support prepare our students to prove their skills in front of admissions staff, while interviews with alumni and faculty offer insights into campus life and programming you can’t get anywhere else.
We assess the quality of your portfolio based on what college staff and faculty are looking for - with Steve Lipman’s 40 years of music school experience as head of admissions at Berklee College of Music, the experience of thousands of students is your best tool.
With our comprehensive list of songwriting programs in hand, and the guidance of consultant Steve Lipman, students have an increased chance of getting into the school that’s right for them.
Where have some of our students ended up?
- UNIVERSITY OF SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA - THORNTON SCHOOL OF MUSIC
- BELMONT UNIVERSITY
- UNIVERSITY OF MIAMI - FROST SCHOOL OF MUSIC
- BERKLEE COLLEGE OF MUSIC
- UNIVERSITY OF COLORADO - DENVER
- CALIFORNIA INSTITUTE OF THE ARTS
- LEEDS COLLEGE OF MUSIC - LONDON
- NEW YORK UNIVERSITY
- SYRACUSE UNIVERSITY
- LOS ANGELES COLLEGE OF MUSIC
- LIVERPOOL INSTITUTE FOR PERFORMING ARTS
How Can IMS Help?
Finding the right school for you
At the end of our intensive program, we provide a personalized comprehensive list of schools that we recommend the student should consider applying to based on several factors:
- Interest - What type of songwriter does the student want to be?
- Skill Level - Our recommendations aim to be constructive environments where the student in question will thrive.
- Career Prospects - What does the student want to do with their songwriting degree? Where a school is located, what types of performance venues are available, and opportunities for publishing are all factors in identifying the right environment for success.
Three Plans to Get You There
- Two-Hour One-on-One Consultation
- Mock audition to prepare for the real thing
- A simulated Admissions Interview with constructive feed-back
- A written report on your potential for success, and recommendations on where to improve
Includes Silver Program plus:
- Songwriting faculty assessment of your work to-date and how to improve
- Instrumental or voice mock audition where appropriate
- Exploration and assessment of secondary interests and hybrid degrees
- Arranged meetings with students, faculty, and alumni to understand what it’s like attending schools you’re interested in, and how you might fit in
- A private lesson on the student’s principal instrument and/or voice
- A personalized list of recommended schools based on all assessments and criteria
Includes Gold Program plus:
- Unlimited, exclusive access to primary consultant Steve Lipman
- Unlimited essay and resume editing services
- Mock auditions, simulated admission interviews, and one-on-one meetings with students, alumni, and industry professionals
- Portfolio or pre-screening video presentation development and optimization
- Review of all college applications including the Common App
- Guidance in applying for scholarship consideration
- Identifying appropriate summer music programs
- Customized planning of timeline throughout the college application process