Get Into the Best Music Composition Program for You
Inside Music Schools helps get you there.
Embarking on a music composition degree means learning the finer details of the greatest compositions ever made, and developing your own sound and style through study and practice. When you write your first song or composition, you are technically a composer - no matter how simple it is. But, if you live, sleep, and breathe music, take it to the next level.
Majoring in music composition can take many forms. Some schools offer composition majors in limited specific genres, while others have more open-ended, genre-bending programs. Some students want to emulate their heroes in jazz and classical composition, while others hope to strike out and develop their own unique style and musical voice.
Studying music composition in college means diving into what makes certain styles sound distinct from others. From chord structure and the philosophy of melody and harmony to cultural aspects that left an impression on the music are all subjects the composition major in college must tackle.
Through a rigorous exploration of the student’s interests, career aspirations, and enrichment goals, we develop a comprehensive and personalized preparatory program of mock auditions, composition assessment, portfolio development, resume building, and simulated admissions interview strategies informed by over 40 years in the music school admissions business.
Students who know how to illustrate their passion in music school applications are more likely to succeed and be accepted to schools.. Inside Music Schools puts your aspirations and artistry up-front in the search, choice, and selection of schools so you’ll love where you end up.
With our personalized comprehensive list of composition schools in hand, and the guidance of consultant Steve Lipman, students have an increased chance of getting into the right school for them.
Where have some of our students ended up?
- THE JUILLIARD SCHOOL OF MUSIC
- OBERLIN COLLEGE AND CONSERVATORY
- UNIVERSITY OF MICHIGAN
- NORTHWESTERN UNIVERSITY - BIENEN SCHOOL OF MUSIC
- NEW ENGLAND CONSERVATORY
- RICE UNIVERSITY - SHEPHERD SCHOOL OF MUSIC
- BERKLEE COLLEGE OF MUSIC
- UNIVERSITY OF SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA - THORNTON SCHOOL OF MUSIC
- INDIANA UNIVERSITY - JACOBS SCHOOL OF MUSIC
How Can IMS Help?
Finding the right school for you
We develop a comprehensive personalized list of schools that we recommend the student should consider applying to based on several factors:
- Interest - What type of composer does the student want to be?
- Skill Level - Our recommendations aim to be constructive environments where the student in question will thrive.
- Career Prospects - What does the student want to do with their composition degree? Where a school is located, what types of performance venues are available, how often are student compositions played, and opportunities for publishing are all factors in identifying the right environment for success.
Three Plans to Get You There
- Two-Hour One-on-One Consultation
- Mock audition to prepare for the real thing
- A simulated Admissions Interview with constructive feed-back
- A written report on your potential for success, and recommendations on where to improve
Includes Silver Program plus:
- Exploration and assessment of secondary interests and hybrid degrees
- Arranged meetings with students, faculty, and alumni to understand what it’s like attending schools you’re interested in, and how you might fit in
- A private lesson on the student’s principal instrument and/or voice
- A personalized list of recommended schools based on all assessments and criteria
Includes Gold Program plus:
- Unlimited, exclusive access to primary consultant Steve Lipman
- Unlimited essay and resume editing services
- Mock auditions, simulated admission interviews, and one-on-one meetings with students, alumni, and industry professionals
- Portfolio or pre-screening video presentation development and optimization
- Review of all college applications including the Common App
- Guidance in applying for scholarship consideration