INSIDE MUSIC SCHOOLS HELPS GET YOU THERE
Songwriting majors go beyond just loving a good tune. Should you choose to study songwriting, you need an environment offering constructive criticism, ample performance opportunities, and world-class faculty actively engaged with the music industry.
Some songwriters make a name for themselves, while others create compositions for different artists to use. Some songwriters find themselves as part of a record label’s team to draft the next great chart-topping hit, while others are creating compositions for different mixed media.
With the guidance of our consultants and their list of best-fit music performance schools in hand, an IMS student has a greatly increased chance of getting into the school that is right for them.
Inside Music Schools helps you discover where you want to go and how to get there. Mock auditions, simulated admissions interviews, songwriting assessments, and one-on-one support prepare our students to prove their skills in front of the admissions staff. Interviews with alumni and faculty offer insights into campus life and programming you can’t get anywhere else.
We assess the quality of your portfolio based on what college staff and faculty are looking for - with Steve Lipman’s 40 years of music school experience as head of admissions at Berklee College of Music, the experience of thousands of students is your best tool.
WHAT OUR STUDENTS ARE SAYING
HOW CAN IMS HELP?
Finding the right school for you
At the end of our preparatory program, we develop a personalized list of schools the student should apply to based on several factors:
Interest - What aspects of this area of study inspire the student?
Skill Level - Our recommendations aim to be constructive environments where the student will thrive.
Career Prospects - What does the student wish to do with their music degree?
Here are just a few of the elite schools IMS students have been accepted to:
BERKLEE COLLEGE OF MUSIC
NEW YORK UNIVERSITY
UNIVERSITY OF MIAMI
MANHATTAN SCHOOL OF MUSIC
THE JUILLIARD SCHOOL
UNIVERSITY OF MICHIGAN
OBERLIN COLLEGE AND CONSERVATORY
NEW ENGLAND CONSERVATORY
UNIVERSITY OF SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA
CARNEGIE MELLON UNIVERSITY
CALIFORNIA INSTITUTE OF THE ARTS
TIERS OF SERVICE
Find out how you stack up
- Review fundamental aspects of the student's musical background and educational goals
- Mock audition on a primary instrument or assessment of a musical interest (songwriting, audio production, etc.)
- conducted by an experienced faculty member at a top conservatory or university with relevant expertise
- Music theory diagnostic exam
- Report on musical and educational status/potential
- with a final report on all activities, including recommendations for next steps
A personalized list of best-fit schools and more
Includes all items in the Silver tier plus the following:
- Personalized list of recommended schools that best fit the student’s educational and career aspirations
- with IMS worksheet for comparing schools
- Admissions interview preparation
- with simulated practice session
- Mock audition on a secondary instrument or assessment of musical interest (songwriting, audio production, etc.)
- Recommendations on summer study options
- Access to IMS exclusive network of top private teachers
One-on-one support until May 1 of the student's senior year
Includes all items in the Silver and Gold tiers plus:
- In-depth review of musical background and educational goals
- with written summary
- Ongoing, one-on-one consultation with IMS experts
- Assistance with prescreening performance videos and composition or production portfolios
- Review of college applications, essays (including Common App)
- unlimited help through the IMS essay-reading educational partner
- Help preparing resumes for professional review
- Zoom webinars for Platinum families
- plus access to library of past webinar recordings
- Guidance on talent/merit-based scholarships
- Repeat of mock auditions/assessments and simulated interviews to track student progress
- Tailored plan of action for all activities
- Ongoing advisement until May 1 of the year preceding entrance to college
Close supervision throughout the application/audition process
Includes all items in the Silver, Gold, and Platinum tiers plus:
- Twice monthly private Zoom sessions with an education-service specialist to help make sure the student is making progress on applications, auditions, and other important time-sensitive activities
- Free enrollment in 5-Day Stage Fright Solution online course
- A trial lesson with an experienced faculty member at a top conservatory or university with relevant expertise upon request